I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Monday, January 12, 2009

Double Apple Cake

I adapted this from a cake I found in the Pillsbury Bake-Off grand prize winner cookbook. I don't really like citrus too much, so I swapped it for apple juice, which then inspired me to create an entirely apple-based cake. This recipe creates a huge cake, so make sure to 2/3 the recipe if you are using a smaller, 9x9 pan as opposed to a 12-cup bundt pan or a 13x9 pan as the original calls for.

The glaze was a rich caramel I created using shakkar, a cane sugar that is unrefined, so it is brown and has a nice, sweet aftertaste to it. I do not know if you can find shakkar, here, but I'm sure you can; I had gotten mine from India. If you find any place that sells it here, please let me know!

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
10 graham crackers, crushed to crumbs
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup apple juice
3 eggs
4 apples, peeled and finely chopped (I wouldn't suggest Granny Smith for they are too sour. Fuji works quite nicely or something similar)
1 cup chopped almonds

Glaze:
1 cup shakkar (or brown sugar)
1 cup heavy cream
3-4 Tbsp. butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan or 13x9 pan.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients except nuts; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in apple and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upright in pan 15 minutes; invert onto serving plate; cool completely.

In small saucepan, combine all glaze ingredients over medium heat and bring to a bowl. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until slightly thick, 6-7 minutes. Drizzle over cake.

** The sauce solidifies as it cools. If you have extra, you can simply reheat it and re-use it as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment