I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Easy as Pie...er...Peaches!



Peaches and nectarines are in peak season right now, so if you haven't already picked up a bunch, stop reading this and go right now!

Personally, I like nectarines better. I like the crispness of of the flesh, and they never have to be peeled, which makes baking with them so much easier. But I still got love for peaches; nothing beats biting into a fuzzy fruit on a summer afternoon!

I do admit that sometimes, I'm just lazy with lunch. I don't want to bother taking out mass amounts of spices, pans, etc. just to make something for me. When this happens, I cheat and create these: open-faced peach toasts.

This is probably the easiest thing you can ever make for lunch [well, apart from microwaving frozen foods]. A slice of hearty bread topped with the cheese of your choice and fresh nectarines and you're good to go! In my toast, I first slathered on some Sweet Jalapeno sauce. It's an Afghani condiment from East and West Bolani, and it's delicious. You can find it at Whole Foods, along with many other dips and of course, bolani, Afghan flatbreads. I definitely recommend you check them out while you're on your hunt for peaches!

For the cheese, I used Jarlsberg, one of my favourite cheeses, but use whatever you want. A creamy brie would pair nicely with the fruit, as would any other sharp cheese.

Ideas for next time: Different type of cheese, perhaps cheddar?

Open Faced Nectarine Toasts

1 slice of whole wheat bread
2 Tbsp. sweet jalapeno sauce
3 Tbsp. grated Jarlsberg cheese
1 nectarine, sliced thinly
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

  1. Set the oven to broil.
  2. Spread the sauce on the bread. Top with cheese, and arrange the nectarine slices on top. Broil until the cheese is melted through, not more than 1 minute.
  3. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment