I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Epic Times at Epic Nights..These are the Days of Summer


Picture this: Three roommates, an ex boyfriend, and a current interest all in the room. No drinks [except for hot taro milk tea with pearl], no drugs [except for my mass medication], just hilarity upon hilarity until 3 in the morning. Something about Shark Week, crazy animals, calcified babies, and pregnant men, followed by man-bonding on the sofa bed until 5am.

Welcome to Apartment 102.
I absolutely love it!

I did manage to get some cooking in before the arcane conversations began. Last week, I purchased a lotus root from Berkeley Bowl, the most amazing grocery place I have ever been to. Seriously, guyz, if you are in Berkeley, you need to check this place out. Everything from durian to buckwheat flour, and dirt cheap! I die a little from happiness every time I go there.

True story.

Lotus root is only 3% iron, but it also contains around 25% Vitamin C, so I figured that I can focus on getting that into my diet and get my iron from some whole-wheat rotis that my mom had given me [I always have a stash in the freezer for emergencies!]



While at first a daunting vegetable [like rhubarb], lotus root is simple to prepare. It takes slightly longer to prepare because you have to pressure cook it first to soften them up. If you are in a rush though, you can just cook it directly; it will be crunchy, but it will taste fine.


I wonder what other uses there are for lotus root....maybe one day I can configure it into a dessert! I am always open to suggestions too if you know any!

Lotus Root Sabzi

1 tsp. cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2-inch piece of ginger, minced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tsp. haldi [tumeric powder]
1 tomato, diced
1 lotus root, peeled and sliced into wheels
1 tsp. garam masala [Available at Indian stores]
1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
4 Tbsp. plain nonfat yoghurt
Salt, to taste


  1. Place lotus root in a pressure cooker with enough water to cover it. Pressure cook on medium-high heat for one whistle. Drain water out and keep lotus root aside.
  2. Heat some oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin and fry until fragrant, about 5 seconds.
  3. Add garlic and ginger and cook until garlic is browned, about a minute or so. Add onion and haldi and cook until onions are soft, 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add tomato and lotus root. Cover and cook until lotus root is lightly brown, 5 minutes or so.
  5. Stir in garam masala and yoghurt. Cook, uncovered, a couple minutes longer or until the yoghurt has evaporated enough to create a bit of a sauce. Season with salt and serve with whole-wheat rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment