I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kid Cudi Cake [Gonna Make Her Say Yumm]


I live for days like today.
Why?
Simply because the weather is gorgeous, my apartment is clean [after an hour of hardcore vacuuming from my slightly defunct appliance], my fridge is full [newly restocked from the Bowl, of course], I am wearing pajamas at five in the evening, there is chai steaming on the stove, and my kitchen smells like cake.

Oh, and I learned a new word today, too, courtesy of Urban Dictionary. Cudi, [as in Kid] means 'anything dope, real, fresh, or all around cudi worthy' [not sure what 'cudi worthy' actually means, though].

Example: 'Those hoes ate the last burrito, NOT cudi...'

Definitely my word of the week.

But being as this is a food blog, let's go back to the part about cake, and why in fact, it is so cudi worthy. But first, a little background:

Whenever I go to Berkeley Bowl, I don't really keep a specific list of things I need, mostly because (1) I put off grocery shopping for weeks so I usually need everything under the sun by the time I go, and (2) I have major food ADD and end up buying four times the amount on my list, racking up a bill that is in the triple digits. I have learned that the best way to shop is to simply get what looks particularly delicious and/or unique and figure out what to do with it once I'm home. This also forces me to get creative, for better or for worse.

My last grocery trip resulted in a purchase of huckleberries, which I had never tried before. Some quick GTS [Googling That Stuff] and taste-testing yielded good information. Related to blueberries, huckleberries are smaller, darker, and more tart. Their season is finishing up now, along with the rest of summer berries, but the Bowl is still selling them. Bee tee dubs, this is also another great reason to venture over there, along with the fact that the guy who stocks all the berries is super cute.


Now, in lieu of my wonderfully lazy Saturday, I invited my friend to come over and bake. Although we didn't have enough berries for all-out pie, which is the common way to use them, I found another recipe for buckwheat cake off one of my favourite food sites, 101 Cookbooks. Actually a seed and not a grain, buckwheat is very healthy for you and is high in iron, and it adds a dense, nutty flavour to baked goods. Over the summer, I had a buckwheat phase and used it for everything from pancakes to cookies, but I had never done a cake. And since I still had these berries to use up, I can utilise them. See, creativity is brewing!

We followed the recipe for the most part, just upping the vanilla dose and sprinkling on the huckleberries before baking [thus eliminating the original fleur de sel topping] and then glazing the top. The cake turned out the perfect shade of brown thanks to the buckwheat flour, and the eggwash made the top glisten. To restrain ourselves from devouring it straight out of the pan, we kept busy by whipping up some cream with cinnamon which we dolloped onto the still-warm cake. So fresh, so cudi.

I live for days like today.


Kid Cudi Cake

For the cake:
7/8 cup (140g) buckwheat flour
1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 pound (240g) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup (200g) sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup huckleberries

For the glaze
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon milk

Optional: Cinnamon whipped cream

Butter a 9 or 10-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees (180C).

In a small bowl, whisk together the buckwheat and all-purpose flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cinnamon.

In the bowl of a standing mixer or by hand, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, beat the 4 egg yolks and whole egg with the vanilla and rum with a fork, then gradually dribble the egg mixture into the batter while beating. If using an electric mixer, beat on high speed so the butter gets really airy.

Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top as flat as possible with an offset metal or plastic spatula.

Sprinkle the huckleberries over the top of the cake. Make a glaze by stirring the single yolk and milk together with a fork, then brush it generously all over the cake and huckleberries. (You may not use it all, but use most of it.)

Bake for 45 minutes, making sure not to over-bake or it will be on the dry side - start checking after 35 minutes or so. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve with a dollop of cinnamon cream, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment