I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mini Custards for Mini People


I always wonder how scientists come up with all these hybrid fruits. Are they just bored in the lab one day decide to screw around, or is like a planned project to create something new? What if they fail and the new product tastes hella bad? I imagine that something like a kiwi-orange mix would be terrible, but that's just me. What fruit hybrids do you think would taste good or bad?

Recently, I picked up a hybrid I hadn't seen before: a plumtarine! If you haven't already guessed (which is pretty sad on your part, no offense), this plum-nectarine mix is the size of a plum, but has a sweet interior. The skin is also very sweet, not bitter like that of plums. I ate one plain to test it out, and I decided that I like them way better than plums. I guess the scientists had a success with this one!

But I still have a few of these fruits leftover, and I really wanted to make something quick and easy, so I settled on individual custards baked in muffin pans! I had a recipe lying around that used apricots, so I swapped those for plumtarines. The custards were not heavy at all, and the fruit gave them a nice sweetness as they suspended in the middle. I had a few extra slices so I just topped the custards with them!

Quick warning for my next post: Figs...again. I know, you all must be bored to tears by all this figginess (is that a word? Spell check didn't pick it up..), but I swear, this is the last one! Fig season is nearly over anyways!

Ideas for next time: Some sort of spice added into the custards [Anise?], caramel topping


Individual Plumtarine Custards

Ingredients:
4 plumtarines, thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 C).

2). Reserve some plumtarine slices for garnish, if desired.

3). Place a 12-cup muffin tin in a shallow baking pan. Divide the sliced plumtarines among the cups or dishes.

4). In a small mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the fruit.

5). Place the baking pan containing the cups or dishes in the oven. Pour boiling water around cups or dishes in pan to depth of 1 inch.

6). Bake in preheated 325 degree F (160 C) oven for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Remove cups or dishes from water. Serve custards warm. Garnish with the reserved plumtarine slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment