I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wake Up to Good Health


Bad news: My anemia came back.

And so did the reduced hemoglobin/low red blood AND white blood count/RBC diameter, meaning less oxygen intake.

Fail.

This basically means going back to my healthy regimen of no desserts and whole grains. Gym is out until I can regain better oxygen circulation, and I need to work on getting more sleep and less stress, which sadly, seems highly unlikely given the life of a double major.

But one can always dream.


To kick off my, well, health kick, I borrowed a recipe from Baking Obsession for buckwheat-oat scones. As you know, I have an undying affinity towards buckwheat, and although the final product looks nothing like scones, they definitely taste like them: moist, and crumbly.


I wanted to assure that my sugar intake was levelled, so I substituted half the sugar for chopped dates [I had some leftover from carrot cake a week back], and used fat-free milk to thin the batter, although I'm sure you can use any other type and it would turn out fine. Ideally, scones work well with buttermilk, so if you can find a low-fat or fat free version, I recommend using that instead. You can also substitute buttermilk with milk and a teaspoon of lemon juice, which gives the acid needed to activate the baking soda. But if you don't mind slighty flattened scones, do what I did and just use milk.

These scones are pretty hearty due to the buckwheat and oats, so make sure you have a glass of milk or tea ready close by!


Date-Oat-Buckwheat Scones [Doatwheat?]

  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 4 tbsp (½ stick; 55g) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped dates
  • 1 cup milk, cold + about 1 tbsp for brushing
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • About 1 tbsp raw coarse sugar (like turbinado)

Preparation:

Center an oven rack and preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.

In a large bowl, whisk the first 9 ingredients. Add the butter and work into the flour using a pastry blender or your fingers (my preference here).

Don’t be too heavy-handed, small butter pieces are still should be present.

Add the chopped dates, mix to combine. In a glass liquid-measuring cup, combine 1 cup of milk and the vanilla extract, then pour into the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork. The dough will be sticky; that’s the way it should be.

Transfer the dough onto a generously floured surface, and fold it over 3-4 times. Transfer the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten into a 9-inch square. Score the dough with a back of a large knife into smaller squares (I made 16).

Brush with the remaining milk and sprinkle with the raw sugar.

Bake for about 30-32 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a rack until warm. Store in an airtight container if you plan on keeping them for more than a couple of days.

Serves 16.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you gave them a try! They look yummy! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete