I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm back! Here, have some cake.


Happy new year, everyone! I hope you all had a good break filled with adventures of fun and more importantly, food. My weeks were spent interning at Citizen Cake learning how to perfect the art of frosting cupcakes [which by the way, is much more difficult than it looks], and trying out delicious desserts [passionfruit mousse cakes], and some not-so-delicious-but-still-interesting desserts [blue cheese ice cream with celery sorbet]. It was a great experience, and I walked away with a notebook full of recipes and tips that I can't wait to try out.


Unfortunately, it also left me missing my camera charger, which is why I have had to put this blog on hiatus for so long. That and a little rave in Los Angeles kept me too busy to look for it and buy a new one. And throw in some food poisoning to keep things alive [I blame you, straight-from-India sweets that my mother brought back with her].

After I pilfered my roommate's camera and finally stopped drooling over my brand new Boulevard cookbook that I got over the holidays [thank you, Mom's boyfriend], I decided that enough is enough and I better get blogging.

The first post? Carrot cake.


I know, I've written about carrot cake before, but that was a healthy, snack cake. This is the real deal. Two layers of cake filled with cream cheese frosting, almond caramel, and topped with candied carrots. Yes, I said candied carrots, and no, I did not know that was possible either. See how awesome this cookbook is?

The only changes I made were to use whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose, and to use almonds instead of walnuts in the caramel. I also let the caramel cook a bit too long on the stove, so it turned out more bitter than I would have liked, but I covered it up and called it a burnt caramel sauce. I meant to do that.


Because I suck at proportions, I made enough caramel sauce to last me two weeks, which means I'll be drinking a lot of caramel chai, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, although my waistline probably thinks otherwise..

Remember to cool the cake completely before taking it out of the pan or you will end up with a broken cake. Good for snacking, bad for layering. I plan on drying out these shards to create a carrot cake bread pudding. Thoughts?

I also suggest you invest in some parchment paper to line your pan with; it makes removing the cake from the pan that much easier. And make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before you start whipping it to avoid lumps. I used a lower fat version here [my health chip kicked in], but feel free to use whichever type you prefer.

This isn't my recipe, so I haven't posted it here; if you would like to try it out, let me know and I can send it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment