I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I Scream, You Scream...You Know How It Goes

Ahhhh I don't even know where to begin. Since my last post [nearly 3 months ago!] life became insanely busy and I completely lost track of time and blogging. Everything from finals, Coachella, EDC, and now a full-time job as the pastry assistant at Oliveto restaurant has kept me from doing anything else. My room appears to be hit by a hurricane, my workout schedule has fallen into an abyss, and my car needs $1000 worth of repairs.

But don't think that I haven't been cooking, for that is far from the truth. At work, I'm doing pastry for at least 8 hours a day, everything from rolling croissants to baking scones to plating desserts. Unfortunately, that leaves me with little time at home to do any actual baking, and on my days off I tend to just sleep all day and drink all night.

Now that my birthday has passed and things are slowly coming back to normal as I habituate to my summer schedule, I am ready to blog once again. Last summer, I focussed mostly on rhubarb; this year, it is ice cream.


My ice cream maker is by far the most awesome thing I have received this year for my kitchen. It has allowed me to experiment to no end with various flavours and combinations, and each time I come up with something new. So far I've concocted sweet polenta cherry, horchata, and the best one yet, espresso-hazelnut cheesecake.


Ice cream is very easy to make once you have mastered the basics. In the next few weeks, I will try to enlighten you about them as I continue to experiment on my own. In the meanwhile, check out the recipe for my current favourite ice cream flavour, and stay tuned!

Espresso-Hazelnut Cheesecake Ice Cream

16 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup strongly-brewed coffee
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup Nutella
  • Combine cream, cream cheese, coffee, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Start whisking slowly to incorporate the cream into the cream cheese, then beat faster until the batter is smooth. This is best done in a KitchenAid. Be careful for splashing, and don't be afraid to take your time making sure the batter is nearly smooth.
  • Pour into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • About ten minutes before the ice cream is done, warm the Nutella in the microwae until it is pourable, 20-30 seconds. Drizzle into the ice cream so it swirls into the batter.
  • Once ice cream is ready, scoop into containers and freeze until set.
Photo Credits: Daniel Y. Go & sea turtle

5 comments: