I love you...

like a [phat] kid loves [cheese]cake

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Under My Nutella-ella-ella French Toast

"When the sun shines, we'll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'll always be a friend
Took an oath Imma stick it out till the end"
- Rihanna



Happy World Nutella Day! If you didn't know about it, it's okay, because I found out a few days ago. But the fact that there is a Web site devoted to this day, I only found about right now. Who knew?


My Nutella Day celebrations began before I even knew they did. On Friday, as I was strolling down upper Sproul (something I don't normally do, as all you flyer-avoiders know), I noticed the Hillel table selling homemade chocolate chip challah. After trying a sample -- or two, or three -- visions of French toast started dancing around my head, and I bargained down with the seller (sorry, it's the Indian in me) to secure myself a loaf.


And then I found it was going to be World Nutella Day, and my plan was set: a Saturday brunch of allspice and nutmeg Nutella French toast with (pure) maple syrup and chocolate sauce. Yea, what.


Even though French toast was not created in France, it is still delicious and super easy to make. My typical eggs-to-milk ratio is 1 egg: 1/4 cup of milk, but feel free to play around to make the batter more or less eggier. You can also switch up the spices as you wish. While I only soaked my toasts for 6 or 7 minutes, I would recommend leaving them for 15 minutes, if not more. You can also soak them overnight in the fridge, so in the morning all you have to do is cook them, which hardly takes 10 minutes. And depending on how hungry you are, eating them might only take 2 minutes.


Nutella French Toast (Serves 2-3)

8 slices of challah, or any other slightly stale bread you have on hand
4 Tbsp Nutella
1 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Maple syrup, chocolate sauce (for garnish)

Preparation:
Preheat a griddle over medium heat.
Spread the 4 tablespoons of Nutella on 4 slices. Sandwich together with the other slices and set aside.
In a shallow mixing bowl, whish together butter, eggs, milk, and spices. Going one by one, place a sandwich into the mix, making sure both sides are covered. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Place sandwich on griddle and cook until both sides are golden-brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with maple syrup, chocolate sauce, or anything else you want (I snuck whipped cream onto one of the plates - delicious).

No comments:

Post a Comment